Tuesday 3 April 2012

Church bells or Church hell?

Coming from a Christian family, I have been brought up to understand that there is no other way to get married than in a church, and to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way - particularly as the church in my village is quite close to my heart (I've lived here all my life, just a few steps away from the church) Now, I'm well aware that a church wedding is not to everyone's taste, and fair enough! For some, a stately home or registry office is more their style, and for others, getting married in a church would simply go against their beliefs. However, for some the idea of getting married in a church seems like the "traditional" option despite maybe not believing in God, and it just made me wonder - why so? Personally, I know at least a handful of women who don't believe in God, yet have chosen to wed in the church. Does this undermine what the church represents? I'd really like to know people's opinions on this.

Have you chosen to get married in a church? If so, which one and why?

Anyway, moving on...

The nitty gritty....I thought I should add a little about what getting married in the church entails, following a meeting with our Rev.

Costs - Yes, you have to pay a fee for the church. For my church, I'm looking at somewhere around the £350 mark but don't be suprised if you have to pay more...
Organist - If you want an organist you are looking at about £100 (If, like me, you know someone that is learning to, or plays the organ, you might be able to get this for free)
Bells - Ding dong, open your wallet - another £100
Flowers and decorations - This will obviously vary depending on your taste..minimalistic decor? or alive with flowers? you decide!

Photography and videos - Many churches have certain rules and regulations about taking photos or videos - this may incur a small charge so make sure you check with your Rev.

Preparation - It is likely you will be expected to attend church 6 weeks or so in the run up to your wedding day, for some churches this period might be even longer. For those who find church deadly dull (the majority of us) be prepared to attend a fair few services. Also, meetings with your Rev are inevitable...

So, that's church! Whether you choose to get married in a church or not, try not to lose sight of what the ceremony is all about - making a life-long commitment to your partner. (ouch!)

Love

Bx

No comments:

Post a Comment